Next Internship Available: Summer 2017
Tectonic Theater Project (Moisés Kaufman, Artistic Director), an NYC based theater company established in 1991 and best known for creating “The Laramie Project,” “I Am My Own Wife,” “Gross Indecency,” and “33 Variations,” is offering an internship opportunity for a junior/senior-level undergraduate and graduate-level arts administration student with a passion and interest in theater administration. The internship dates are flexible, but ideally an intern would be with Tectonic from mid-May 2017 through mid-August 2017 (with some flexibility for those still in school).
This internship offers a unique opportunity to gain experience in all aspects of small nonprofit theater management. The selected intern will support and assist with daily logistics, event planning, specific department initiatives, and clerical and organizational tasks.
The intern will support the administrative initiatives of the company and this internship is designed for aspiring artistic administrators. The majority of the internship will take place in Tectonic’s offices, not a rehearsal room. We are a small, dynamic staff that develops theater that is then produced all over the country.
Potential activities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a second-hand to the Administrative Coordinator to fulfill the various administrative initiatives of the company, with a specific focus on time-intensive projects.
- Filing and digital archiving.
- Maintaining and adjusting administrative and production calendars.
- Planning and arranging off-site meetings.
- Preparing and co-administrating quarterly Board of Trustees meetings.
- Preparing weekly email blasts in coordination with the Director of Development and Communication.
- Keeping all frequently used documents up to date.
- Preparing meeting materials.
- Production research.
- Dramaturgical research.
- Light office cleaning and organizing.
- Updating the Tectonic Theater Project website.
- Compiling press packages.
- Check processing
- Compiling donor packages and update donor profiles in fundraising database
- Sending acknowledgement letters
- Grant Writing, Research, and Reporting
- Assisting with preparations for and then at special events.
Tectonic is currently seeking a friendly, motivated, and detail-oriented intern that meets the following requirements:
- Excellent general office skills (phone, filing and e-mail)
- Computer skills and experience with Mac (fluency in Google Docs, Word, Excel, and experience with PowerPoint, Keynote, and e-Tapestry a plus)
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, and excellent communication is a must
- Reliable and responsible
- Knowledge of basic theater history and the professional theater field
- Strong researcher and problem-solver
- Interest in learning and working in a number of different areas to support TTP’s production, development and education initiatives
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- A sense of humor and a “can-do” attitude
1. Cover Letter, explaining your interest and qualifications for the Internship
3. List of references with contact information (1 Business, 1 Academic, 1 Personal)
4. Estimated start date & weekly availability
There is a small stipend for this position (or college credit), along with a transportation allowance and free membership to the American Theatre Wing’s Intern Group.
Hours: 30-40 hrs/week; outside of regular office hours, some nights/weekends could occur.