Now accepting applications for the position of General Manager!
Reports to: Artistic Director and Executive Director
Tectonic Theater Project (Moisés Kaufman, Founder/Artistic Director, and Lauren Wainwright, Executive Director) is seeking a General Manager.
Tectonic is a 25-year old developmental theater company dedicated to creating innovative works that explore theatrical language and form, fostering an artistic dialogue with our audiences on the social, political and human issues that affect us all. In service to this goal, Tectonic supports readings, workshops, and full theatrical productions, as well as training for students around the country in our play-making techniques. Our groundbreaking plays, THE LARAMIE PROJECT, GROSS INDECENCY: THE THREE TRIALS OF OSCAR WILDE, and I AM MY OWN WIFE, among others, have sparked national discourse about their subjects and have inspired artists and audiences worldwide.
The General Manager is responsible for all production, financial, operations, and HR activities for the organization. The successful candidate will be required to:
- Collaborate with Executive Director to create annual organizational budget. Track cash flow biweekly and provide fiscal reporting to the Board.
- Develop and manage budgets for each workshop, production, and tour, and collaborate with the Director of Development to provide budgets for grant applications and reporting.
- Liaise with tour managers on presentations and provide back-office functions as needed. Collaborate with production manager to provide support to production and artists and to track production expenses.
- Take principal responsibility for negotiating and finalizing all production contracts, including those with producing partners and all artists. Oversee artist travel/housing, payroll, fees, and benefits.
- Act as liaison for and negotiate with artistic unions (AEA, USA, SDC).
- Serve as primary liaison for the artistic teams, including external producers in the case of co-productions, ensuring they have the resources they need, and communicate with Artistic Director regarding production needs/issues as they arise throughout the development and rehearsal period.
- Coordinate creative team meetings, design presentations.
- Provide production support as needed for special events, fundraising events, and workshops.
- Maintain all nonprofit accounting standards and oversees the audit process.
- Manage payroll and employee benefits, including year-end reporting and annual renewals, and maintain and update company policies and procedures to reflect best practices.
- Manage financial operations, including supervising bookkeeper and Quickbooks recording, reconciling bank statements, and managing accounts payable and receivable.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in nonprofit general management, producing, finance, and accounting.
- Proficiency with touring and co-productions.
- Significant experience in union relations and in writing, negotiating, and managing artist contracts.
- Proven success in financial management and knowledge of Quickbooks.
- Attention to detail within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior organizational, written/oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to prepare for contingencies.
- Communicating and Influencing: The ability to effectively communicate and influence others in order to develop strong working relationships and achieve goals.
- Thoroughness: Ensuring that one’s own work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Problem-Solving and Diagnostic Information Gathering: The ability to analyze facts and data to creatively to solve problems, and the ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information.
- Building Collaborative Relationships: The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com, with the subject line “General Manager.” Please include salary requirements in cover letter. Only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted.
This position is available beginning mid-September 2016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Salary commensurate with experience. This full-time position includes medical coverage, paid vacation, and commuter benefits. Tectonic Theater Project is an equal opportunity employer.